Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Weekend Fun

The weekend adventures began on Saturday with a trip up to Anacortes for whale watching. I must admit that I never expected this to be such an amazing experience! Fisch, you were “oh-so-right” that this would be an unforgettable experience, I am glad we could celebrate your birthday in high style. Here are some fun group photos of 1) the Marten family, 2) Karlie and Jordan, 3) Tyler and I, and 4) the birthday girl, Fisch:







We were on the boat for about six hours. From Anacortes, we sailed toward the San Juans and saw a not-so-traveled path toward the whales. On the way, we saw many small islands (there are 70 islands in the San Juans)…


Two bald eagles and their nest…


A fat seal…


Pretty scenery…



The Burrows Island lighthouse was an unexpected but pleasant surprise.



And, last but not least, orcas...

I must admit that I was rather unsuccessful in my attempts to photograph the whales. By the time I focused my camera on one spot, they either swam to another, were back underwater, or I was so mesmerized that I couldn’t take the picture quick enough. I promise you though, we saw plenty orcas! All in all, I would say we saw about 20 members of the “J-pod”, and each glimpse was more and more incredible. Once we arrived to the “hot-spot” where several pods of whales were, our boat was surrounded to one side with orcas. They were beautiful, especially the baby one! We saw all kinds of action: breaching, a cartwheel, spyhopping, tailslapping, etc. So many “oooohs” and “aaaahhhs”! If any of you in search of something new and fun to experience, I strongly recommend Island Adventures!

After our whale watching fun, we tried out the Rockfish Grill / Anacortes Brewery. Pretty good stuff, their Honey Ale was quite a nice was to end a fun day!


After a long and restful sleep, Tyler and I headed down to Auburn to stop in and see my parents and of course, all of the animals. We were greeted by the baby rooster who was on top of the fence post practicing his ‘cock-a-doodle-dooh’ (I am sure there is a technical term for it). Too bad our roosters never caught on to the fact that they are only supposed to make noise in the mornings! Of course, the dogs and cats were excited to see us! Susie homemaker had some tasty zucchini bread and watermelon to fill our bellies, and Dad was on his way out to work, but was able to catch some football in the meantime. Despite the persistent rain, Tyler and I then made our way to the Puyallup fair for a few hours.


We saw the draft horses…


A gigantic pumpkin…


And a few other things along the way. Fun times!


Becca starts school at SU next week so she spent the night with me to attend orientation today. It will be nice to have my sister so close! I will be sure to keep her on track with her studies and perhaps some day, she’ll reach my level of nerd-i-ness!

That’s all for now!

2 comments:

Team Eddy said...

Looks like a busy, fun weekend!

Jen said...

That'll be fun, having your sister at SU...not that I know anything about that. :)