Remember the library construction post last year? Well, we're almost there! Yesterday, SU faculty and staff got a peek at the new library and learning commons. I have never seen such an extensive remodel. Those of you former SU students will remember the 1970's decor, dark, dreary, library with minimal inviting study spaces. The old library structure remains, but the inside is drastically different -- modern, inviting, and spacious. The huge expansion adds to the modern touch. I was in a bit of a hurry, so these pictures aren't the best, but you'll get the idea. I'll try to post some of the finished product in the next few weeks.
And here is the view from the patio in front of the student center:
Here is a look at the media production center:
Remember the spiral staircase? They kept it and added another non-spiral with matching marble!
There is a cafe and starbucks-esque study area:
Makes me want to be a student again!
LOTS of computers!
In the addition, there are certain areas where the exterior of the old structure shows through:
A modern reading room:
Nadeje enjoying the oversized rocking chairs in the faculty lounge.
You can bet that I enjoyed rocking as well.
They opened up the fifth and sixth floors of the library to study spaces and collections storage. Amazing views. I'll have to head up there on a nice day for some photo opps.
To read more about it, click here, where you will see how "the learning commons redefines the role of a 21st-century academic library in teaching and learning".
For those of you in the area, join us at the dedication celebration after the Mass of the Holy Spirit on September 30, around 11:30 a.m.










2 comments:
Thanks for sharing news of SU. Love the updated look!
The remodel looks gorgeous! You and Nadeje look so cute in those pictures! Haha, thanks for sharing! :)
Post a Comment